Entered the market in 1994, the Subaru Outback is an excellent alternative to the standard SUV. Its reliability, quality, and durability are top-notch. As a car lover, are you faced with the question, how long do Subaru outback last? If yes, entail in this article is your answer.
These Are The Top Points In The Article
- 1 How long do Subaru Outback last:
- 2 What is the Subaru Outback highest Mileage?
- 3 Is the Subaru Outback a reliable car?
- 4 Do Subaru Outbacks have a lot of problems?
- 5 Which Subaru Engines to avoid?
- 6 Are Subaru Outbacks expensive to repair?
- 7 What are the things to do to prolong the life of Subaru Outbacks?
- 8 How long do Subaru Outbacks last before rusting?
- 9 How to ensure Subaru Outback remains rust-free:
- 10 How Long Do the Subaru Outback Brakes Last?
- 11 How Long Do Subaru Outback Tires Last?
- 12 How Long Do a Subaru Outback Transmissions Last?
- 13 How Long Do Subaru Outback Batteries Last?
- 14 How Long Do the Subaru Outback Spark Plug Last?
- 15 How much does the Subaru Outback Insurance Cost?
- 16 The Worst Years for Subaru Outback
- 17 Best Years for Subaru Outback
- 18 How to Prolong the Life of Your Subaru Outback?
- 19 Conclusion
How long do Subaru Outback last:
The Subaru Outback can last for 16 to 20 years based on an annual mileage of 15,000 miles, which equates to 250,000 to 300,000 over a couple of years. However, this is only possible if the car is appropriately driven and well maintained.
What is the Subaru Outback highest Mileage?
From data gotten from research, the Subaru Outback can reach 300,000 miles if handled carefully and adequately. Also, as long as the Outback isn’t starved of oil, it can run up to 200 000 miles without undergoing significant repairs.
Is the Subaru Outback a reliable car?
The Subaru Outback is ranked as having a 3.5 out of 5, based on the RepairPal ranking system. This makes it above average, and it is positioned as No 10 out of 26 in the midsize SUV category. Also, the JD Power rated the Outback with a 70 out of 100 based on consumer reliability rating. This makes it an above-average car.
Do Subaru Outbacks have a lot of problems?
According to data received, the 2000-2018 Subaru Outback models have overheating problems due to cooling system failure. A factor that contributes to this problem includes:
- Coolant leaks
- A faulty radiator,
- Broken thermostat.
These minor issues should be treated immediately after they are identified so that they won’t result in total damage to the head gasket.
Which Subaru Engines to avoid?
The 2.5 Liter SOHC engine used in the 1999-2004 models, Forester, Outback, Impreza, and Legacy, should be avoided as it is very prone to engine head gasket failure.
Are Subaru Outbacks expensive to repair?
The average annual Subaru Outbacks repair and maintenance cost is $607, which is a little higher when compared to other midsize SUVs that cost $573.
What are the things to do to prolong the life of Subaru Outbacks?
- Never missing your Service appointments
- Tire rotations
- Driving smoothly
- Routine oil changes
- Regular checking of fluid levels
How long do Subaru Outbacks last before rusting?
The Subaru Outback has a strong reputation of not having rusting issues. This is powerfully relevant across six generations and 27 model years. The Subaru Outbacks are usually equipped with rust proofing and are built with galvanized metals that protect the car’s surface. Also, the Subaru Outbacks come with Rust Perforation Limited Warranty that guarantees five years of no rust regardless of the mileage.
As such, they don’t encourage owners of the Subaru to go for external anti-rust coating, but still, some people go to ensure double protection.
However, the few Rust problems reported are usually from coastal areas and humid climates, where the roads are aggressively covered with salt.
So, if you live in such areas, I will advise you to take extra precautionary measures.
How to ensure Subaru Outback remains rust-free:
- Constant Cleaning: Constantly wash your car, including the underside, to remove any trapped in the salt.
- Rustproofing: if you live in an icy climate, you should apply a rust-proofing spray and ceramic coating to stand as an extra layer of defense.
- Storage: Ensure to park your Outback in a garage or an enclosed or dry place to protect it against harsh weather and birds’ droppings.
- Waxing: Ensure to wax your car twice a year. This is necessary not just to add beauty to the vehicle by also to stand as a protective coating against rust.
How long do Subaru Outback last compared to other Car Models?
Contained in the table below is how the Subaru outback is compared to similar car models.
|Subaru Outback||BMW X3||Hyundai Santa Fe||Toyota RAV4|
|The Subaru Outback is a sports utility wagon||The BMW X3 is more of a classic SUV shape||The Hyundai Santa Fe is more of a midsize SUV||The Toyota RAV4 is more of a passenger vehicle. It isn’t a full-size truck.|
|The Subaru Outback can last for 16 to 20 years based on an annual mileage of 15,000 miles annual which equates to 250,000 to 300,000||The BMW X3 can last for 10 – 13 years, which translates to 150,000 – 200,000 miles.||A well-kept Santa Fe can last for 13 to 17 years if adequately managed that is translated to 200,000 – 250,000, which is annual average mileage of 15, 000||The Toyota RAV4 can last for 16 to 20 years, if between 250,000 – 300,000 miles, before sustaining any significant issues if adequately driven.|
|The Subaru Outback is ranked on the scoreboard of 3.5/5 on the reliability scale, classifying it as 10th out of 26 midsize SUVs.|
|The BMW X3 is ranked on 2.5/5, placing it 10th out of 11 luxury compact SUVs.|
|Santa Fe is ranked on the scoreboard of 4.0/5, placing it in 2nd place out of 26 midsize SUVs.|
|The RAV4 is ranked on the scoreboard of 4.0/5, placing it as 3rd out of 26 compact SUVs.|
|The Subaru has an annual average repair and maintenance cost of $607||The Subaru has a yearly average repair and maintenance cost of $1034||Santa Fe has an average annual repair and maintenance cost of $515, less than the Subaru Outback.||The RAV4 has an annual average repair and maintenance cost of $429, less than the Subaru Outback.|
How Long Do the Subaru Outback Brakes Last?
Subaru Outback brake can last for 2 – 5 years of a 30,000 – 70,000 miles coverage. It can be higher or lower depending on the driving style or habit of the owner.
Do note that:
- The number one cause of premature brake pad wear is the complete stops from a high speed.
- Driving and using smooth, controlled braking will help prolong the life of your brakes.
How Long Do Subaru Outback Tires Last?
The Subaru Outback tries can last for 2 to 3 years of 30,000 – 40,000 miles before requiring a replacement.
- To prolong the life of your tire, regularly check your tire pressures monthly to ensure they contain the proper air pressure.
- Try to be rotating your tires every 5,000 miles to ensure even wear
How Long Do a Subaru Outback Transmissions Last?
Subaru Outback transmissions can last for 250,000 – 300,000 miles.
The most recent two generations infused with automatic transmissions run on a continuously variable transmission as such last longer than the first four generational models of the Subaru Outback (1994 to 2014) equipped with manual and automatic transmissions.
How Long Do Subaru Outback Batteries Last?
Subaru Outback batteries can last an average of between 3-5 years. However, factors like climate, driving habits, the type of battery, and so many more can influence battery longevity.
How Long Do the Subaru Outback Spark Plug Last?
Subaru Outbacks is expected to last for 30,000 miles, after which it is to be changed following the service manual. However, in the newer model, the sparks can go for 60,000 miles before being transformed.
For safety, always check the sparks plugs, and if found wanting should be changed immediately to avoid more significant issues.
How much does the Subaru Outback Insurance Cost?
The Subaru Outback insurance cost for a year averages $1,361, or you can subscribe to the monthly payment of $113. Newer models cost higher to insure than the older models.
The Worst Years for Subaru Outback
According to data from Car Complaints, the worst models are the 2013 and 2015 model which is known for its excessive oil consumption. It usually occurs close to covering 45,800 miles and costs an average of $1,590 to fix.
The 2015 Outback received the highest complaints so far which is 126 complaints, although the protests are less severe and are related to interior accessories such as:
- Voice navigation issues
- Poor Bluetooth connectivity
- Poor connectivity of the Radio
Best Years for Subaru Outback
The best Subaru outback model is the year 20201 model, which boasts sought-after safety features and has received very few complaints.
Also, the 2021 model contains advanced features including:
- Sway warning
- Pre-collision braking
- EyeSight Driver Assist Technology
- Pre-collision throttle management Adaptive cruise control
- Lane keep assist.
Furthermore, the 2021 model was awarded the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award, which has proved its reliability to the market.
How to Prolong the Life of Your Subaru Outback?
Below are the tips to be followed to ensure that your Subaru outback lives longer.
- Read the owner’s manual, including the service manual, before the operation to learn about the maintenance schedules and services.
- Wash your Subaru Outback regularly to remove dirt and salts that can contribute to or cause it to rust.
- Regularly check the Subaru Outback’s engine oil, coolant, brake, and transmission fluid levels weekly.
- Always drive smoothly especially in coastal areas.
- Allow the engine to warm up for 30 seconds before you take off.
- Park your Outback in a dry garage as it will help to protect your car against the weather’s elements.
- Avoid overloading the vehicle.
- Pay attention to warning and information lights on your vehicle’s instrument panel.
- Treat all issues with a sense of urgency.
For a perfect passenger vehicle, I greatly recommend the Subaru Outback. So, in this article, how long do Subaru Outback last? You have understood all the basic facts about this unique car. For similar information, OD keeps to date with us.